Iremember when we heard the news. we had been on the beach all day, waiting to hear. luckily, it was a sunny day after a week of rain! there were thousands of people on the beach because it was a public holiday and everyone was in a party mood. we just hoped we were going to get what we wanted. there were two big screens on the beach so we could see the results, and we were also listening to live music. one of my favourite singers was on in the morning and after that there was a samba band and everyone danced. suddenly, the news came through on the screens and there was a huge roar from the crowd. brazil had won the bid to host the 2016 olympics! a wave of emotion swept over me. thousands of people were dancing and singing and the sand disappeared under a sea of yellow and green brazilian flags. there was confetti everywhere. it was unbelievable. in the end the party went on all night, and it was definitely one of the best days of my life.
look at the how box. tick () the phrases used in each paragraph of the article.
how sequence a narrative
1. setting the scene € i remember when this all happened when a few years ago
2 the main sequence of events. € then next after that
3 the big event (usually something unexpected) € suddenly. to my surprise ..
4 result € in the and l've never forgotten that day. we again. it was one of the best/worst days of my life.
there was a box on the table
1. what is called the biggest star factory in the world? why is hollywood called the biggest star factory?
2. is oscar night called the most important event in show biz? what is called the most important event in show biz?
3. where may you see some famous stars? who(m) may you see if you visit malibu?
4. what are you unlikely to have in los angeles? where are you unlikely to have bad weather? are you likely to have bad weather in los angeles?
wandering) freely instead of (to live, live, living) behind bars. 3. however, some people object to (to keep, keep, keeping) animals in national parks. 4. they believe that animals should (to live, live, living) in their natural habitats and shouldn't be used as a form of entertainment for visitors to these parks. 5. all in all, it would (to appear, appear, appearing) that national parks
do have some advantages, but there are also several drawbacks to (to keep, keep, keeping) animals in them. 6. perhaps it is time we started (worked, work, working) to protect animals in their natural environments.